Living and working as a Paramedic in Iraq.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Having your cake...

You can’t have your cake and eat it too. It’s an old expression but one that has shown to be timeless.

The moonbats are screaming for the president's head (again); the reason this time is a slow response to the hurricane victims plight. Of course they are also screaming about the president bringing in the military, abuse of power, how this presidency has taken away more of our rights under the Homeland Security Act, etc.

Now I’m not going to sit here and say I think that the government needs to be given more power- I certainly don’t, but which is it folks? Do you want the government to be able to provide you with more services or don’t you? As the people continue to demand more from the government they are going to have to give up more to the government.

Personally I prefer my freedoms and as such believe that I and I alone am responsible for myself. That doesn’t mean I don’t need other people, just that I accept the responsibility to take care of myself without expecting others to do it for me.

Think about it folks, you can’t have your cake and eat it too.

8 Comments:

Blogger Blue Rose said...

Tis me again..

True say. But there are people who believe that they deserve what they demand for. It is for a reason that we have elections and the people appoint someone to sit up there. Not that anyone can expect much from them. Yet some believe in fighting for their rights. I cant comment on much about the government there. Considering the HUGE difference in the needs of the people there and where I am from. Hence I cant pass a judgement as to the efficiency of President Bush. Everyone should be allowed one mistake. After which you might be entitled to take action. (this is only with regards to a President)

P.S. I shall pretend I did not notice the use of the word "kiddo" previously.

2:47 PM

 
Blogger Robert said...

I don't think Bush has been a very effective president, but I'm not sure who would have done a better job. Certainly not a job I would want that's for sure.

The term "Kiddo" wasn't intended as a slight at all and I wasn't reflecting on your age; a lot of folks use it in the south were I'm from (my dad calls me kiddo occasionally). I actually use the term with friends of mine. No harm intended.

8:35 AM

 
Blogger scot said...

'You can't have your cake and eat it too?' Why would you have a cake if you couldn't eat it. I never liked that saying. However, point taken.

I'm tired of the never ending micro analysis of tragedies. It seems that people forget that life is not a static event. Poop happens. It doesn't matter who was president post Katrina. Somebody would have blamed him/her no matter what happened.

I say: Wake up, do something good for someone else, then for yourself, and relax knowing that is about how much control you have over life.

PS: my parents and grandparents called me kiddo...and I have heard you call others the same. It has always been in a loving way.

5:30 PM

 
Blogger Robert said...

scot- I agree with you. I’ve always thought that was a silly expression, it just seemed to fit here. I think the actual expression came about in reference to cake being the leftover from cooking (along the same lines as Marie Antoinette’s comment about “Let them eat cake”.

Life is dynamic, never static. So many Americans seem to live in a self-absorbed fantasy world- isolated as we are from outside events. As we become increasingly used to our excesses our level of complacency grows. When outside forces shatter that sphere of comfort we no longer know what to do. Unfortunately we see this all too often on so many levels not just isolated catastrophes like Katrina- look at how few people are actually capable of taking charge and making a decision on everyday tasks.

Everyone wants to play Monday morning quarterback but no one wants to take the risk of actually getting on the field. The buck may stop with the president, but he’s rarely the one who makes the actual decisions. Clinton would have caught as much flak from the Republican’s- look at the stink they made over his indiscretions.

6:39 PM

 
Blogger Blue Rose said...

errmm.. I was joking about the 'kiddo' thing.

And a note to scot. I agree with 'Poop happens'(!). What matters is the 'Post-poop events'. What you learn from it. What you did about it. What you did after it. And whether or not it happened to have made a difference on you.

And about your comments on the 'micro-analysis' of tragedies. It is only through observation and analysis of the observed and re-analysis of the same (including micro-analysis) that man has reached where he has today. Dont throw away your past. Learn from it. Squeeze all the juice you can out of it. You might not have another chance.

So, now the question of what have you learnt from what happened? It is most definetely a reminder to all of us. As to how all of us are mortals after all. Neither money nor fame nor being 'super-power' can change that. And neither bomb nor shots were needed. The mere games that nature can play can do so much. Make the best of the time given to you. Be wise. You wont be sorry.

3:56 PM

 
Blogger scot said...

Hello Blue Rose:

I wasn't refering to you when I spoke of post-tragedy "micro analysis." I understand the importance of history, recent and distant past. However, "history" and "learning" are the last things on the US local news networks minds. Rather, they think of self serving, fear instilling, political non-sense when they spew across the airwaves. Frankly, it makes me sick.

And yes, I agree that everyone should make the most of their time. I've learned this the hard way.

10:53 PM

 
Blogger Blue Rose said...

"history" and "learning" are the last things on the US local news networks minds.

Absolutely! But its not just them. Most people have personal benefits in mind before anything else. Their story has to sell. That is all they would care about. But it is also this media which serves as the most powerful weapon in today's world. We just need the right people up there, focusing things in the right manner.

4:00 PM

 
Blogger Robert said...

OK, got a better clarification on the "having your cake and eaing it too" expression- The expression "Can't have you cake and eat it, too." simply means that if you have cake and eat it, the cake is gone.
You can't "eat" it AND still "have" it.

7:27 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home